7/26/07

Want vs. get

For anyone who's curious, I opened my Zodiac DVD last night and discovered that they really weren't kidding about it being bare-bones. There's nothing in here but a disc and an anti-theft sticker. No insert, not even one of those stupid coupons for some other movie. Nothing. Fortunately, all I wanted from this release was the original film as it appeared in the theater, and that, I believe, is what I got. With a criminally bad cover design. I haven't had time to watch it yet, but I'm not looking forward to sitting through the blurb for the "Director's Cut." There won't be anyone from Paramount around for me to glare at.

However, at least I know that those great extras, including Jake's commentary, are comingJake Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist on the bridge eventually. The same can not be said about Brokeback Mountain. I was reminded of the relative disappointment of that release when I went in search of the highest-possible quality version of the trailer so that I could bring you this shot. Don't bother clicking it. It doesn't get any bigger. If it did, Jack would be a pixelated, amorphous smudge anyway. But I wouldn't have had to go digging on the internet for a copy of the trailer if they'd included it on the "2-Disc Collector's Edition" DVD. While it did have some wonderful extras, it lacked the things I believe we all wanted most: deleted scenes and commentary, at least from Ang Lee if not cast members. I want to know why Jack was standing alone on the bridge. I want to see Ennis and Jack rescue the hippies. There is always the possibility that an anniversary edition somewhere down the line will be released and include all the precious bits that we've been missing.

Here's the reason I was looking for that all-too-brief glimpse of shirtless Jack in the first place. This was the first of the two BBM fanfic-ish stories I wrote. It just sort of came into my head one morning, and it wouldn't leave me. Some people have said they liked it; I'm glad, but the most important thing is what it meant to me, and that's Jack's capacity for love and sacrifice. Go ahead and comment, please. Let me know how daffy you think it is. Or if it's the best thing you've read since Annie Proulx's original short story, by all means, don't tell me--tell some publisher so I can get out of my crappy government job and get a writing deal. Yeah. Want...versus get.

3 comments

Xenia said...

Really long comment today, I'm warning you...:)
I don't know when the Zodiac DVD will be released in Italy but I have to have it anyway, I want to hear Jake speaking like Jake and not speaking Italian (although the dubber did a really good job and his voice tone is very close to Jake's).

Oh yeah the infamous BBM Special Edition...I have an Italian Special Edition released by an eminent Italian publisher (Feltrinelli) who did a good job, the Edition contains valuable extra material such as the interview that Jake gave during the Venice Film Festival (posted by Dani on JW Forum sometimes ago,and you can find on Youtube obviously) but still no deleted scenes and no commentary...

Your fanfic reminded me of an extraordinary piece that I read several months ago written by a really talented writer, Maggie (b73) on Brokeback Slash (I once suggested you to read a poetry of hers, named "Virgin " do you remember?).
I wanted to put the link but I found out that she locked up her works and I'm really sorry but you should read her works...you'd like them... you both have the same grace and respect when you're writing about BBM.

But there's one thing that I wanted to point out of your fanfic: I don't know...that Ennis of yours...I might to be wrong but he seems so detached and reluctant...istead I think he was as lost in love and longing as Jack...
You don't like him at all, do you?
Will you ever forgive him?

Cherita said...

Never worry about the length of your comments here. There's plenty of space with only you and me chatting! :P

I remember a recommendation but didn't know that the item was a poem--which would likely be less objectionable to me than a story--and didn't seek it out. I'm sure I would enjoy her work, but I could lose days of my life if I started to indulge, besides that blurring of the lines of canon that I know will happen once I begin reading it.

So, my Ennis is detached and reluctant, eh? I dunno, if someone were starting to hump me while I slept, I might be a little annoyed, too. ;) No, I know what you meant, and I understand why you see it that way. To me, that isn't a reluctance; it's part of the way he deals with the situation he's found himself in, despite his strong personal convictions. Also, bear in mind that the whole thing came from Jack's POV, and his subconscious at that, since he was dreaming. What Jack thinks would probably be different in his waking life.

Wow, talk about long comments. Thanks for hanging here with me, Xenia! If you ever do start that Greek erotic poetry blog, you know I'll be there every day!

Xenia said...

Well...I've just opened an account on Blogger with a title that is quite hard to pronounce : Kalocagathia, so you never know ...actually I wanted to have an account to post link and pictures and whatever...but if I had a blog all mine that would be the title...in ancient Greece Kalocagathia was the main virtue for a nobleman. A nobleman was known as "kalòs kai agathòs" that is, more or less, handsome and good. In other words who was noble for his birth, was noble for his heart too and that would have shone through his looks...
Yeah I know...those Greeks were a little bit conservative but it was a long time ago...

And of course the definition of "kalòs kai agathòs" fits perfectly on Jake...

OT: Check your e-mail. I sent you a message where I explain you why you won't see me around for a while.:)