8/24/07

Jake and Reese in New Jersey?

We have promotion!

This morning the Courier-News Online is reporting that Rendition will be screened as part of the Filmmakers Symposium this year, somewhere between September 17 and December 4. Since these are described as previews, let's assume it will happen before October 19.

Jake with Gavin Hood on the Rendition set in MoroccoWhy is this exciting? Because the Filmmakers Symposium presents not just the films, but some of the key talent behind each picture, in a question and answer session following the screening. And look for yourself if you don't believe me, but Jake Gyllenhaal, Reese Witherspoon, and Gavin Hood are expected to attend. The symposium's director Chuck Rose cautions: "Assessing film and guest availability is often like playing the ponies. Distributors juggle their release dates to gain competitive advantages. Sure shots can be scratched at the last minute, and wonderful surprises and fantastic celebrities can pop up out of nowhere, so I try to keep the schedule as fluid as possible."

I wonder if the audience will be vetted to prevent stupid questions from coming to the mic? You know the kind I'm talking about, what with both of them in the same room. Then again, maybe it will be a nice, awkward opportunity for some scathing Gyllenhaal humor.

If only New Jersey weren't so far away from my house. I was already planning a trip around the Rendition opening weekend. I'd adjust those plans if someone at the FS could promise me a date for the screening, but I can't afford to book it (no refunds) and then find out later that Rendition has been bumped to another night. Damn, it sucks to be poor.

As recommended by BirdGirl on the JW Forums, I've been DVRing IFC's reruns of "Indie Sex" this week, and it's a wonderful little series, including commentary from Peter Sarsgaard among others. One episode dealt with the effect on the popularity and earnings of movies released under the dreaded NC-17 rating in the US. Today Guardian Unlimited revealed that another Toronto International Film Festival presentation, Ang Lee's Lust, Caution, has just won this "death knell" rating from the MPAA.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Ang Lee on the Brokeback Mountain setThis isn't the horrible news we might first perceive it to be. Focus Features has announced that they plan to buck the trend of recutting for a more acceptable R, and release the film as Lee intended it to be seen. I love you, Focus Features. Lee's reputation for creating beautiful, delicate but powerful masterpieces may be just what the industry needs to turn around the negative connotation of NC-17.

If nothing else, it's inspired me to fantasize about what the NC-17 version of Brokeback Mountain might have been like. Not that my imagination hasn't been there many times before....

Photos: IHJ.

6 comments

Xenia said...

Oh God...How I wish I was a New Jersey dweller...
Instead I'm stuck here in Bologna eating to expansive tortellini and trying to cope with gigantic mosquitos...

I'd really have apreciated Jake being in Venice this year, just to toy with the idea of me being in front of him, contemplating pefection...

Not that I'm a 'screaming-behind-barriers' type of fan, I'd rather meet Jake 'vis-a-vis' just to emabarss him and make him delightfully blush with my 'bold' remarks :)

But still...

I'm looking forward the 'more to come' you promised, Cherita!
And, for the record, I really really wish you could go to NJ my friend...:)

Cherita said...

I've just finished the post, which was rudely interrupted by the clock this morning. Having to go to work every day really gets in the way sometimes. :P

You know I'm the same way about the whole velvet-rope scenario, but this is definitely different. It's an opportunity for interaction with Jake and his fellow filmmakers!

I'd rather meet Jake 'vis-a-vis' just to emabarss him and make him delightfully blush with my 'bold' remarks :)

I'll bet you could, too. You and I qualify as "older women" for Jake, and we know how he seems to react to that!

Xenia said...

Lucky me I checked before going off to work!!

Sorry Cherita, I rushed to comment the first part of your post without waiting you to finish things...

I just wanted you to know I'm on top of things darling...:)

Yes, a copy of NC-17 rated Brokeback Mountain it's what I need for my week-end...;)

I'm going home now...see you on monday!:)

sass said...

OMG, I could take the train to New Jersey. I have to sit on my hands while I calm down so I can check train schedules, or I'll go nuts. TY for sharing this wonderful information with us.
sass

sass said...

Sorry youngsters, older woman here has you beat *grin*...loving this teenage feeling:)
sass

Cherita said...

Hi Sass! Please do let me know if you end up attending the symposium. It would be nice to know someone made it, since I can't afford it!