9/14/07

Gray matter



This is the stuff I've been waiting for. With each new interview, we never know if Jake will be articulate and intellectual, or full of baffling circular phrases and self-interruptions that suggest confusion or avoidance of a subject. Clearly Jake was at the top of his game when he sat down with CNN's Showbiz Tonight and faced the toughest question with lucid fluidity.

Oddly enough, the transcript for the September 12 show is the only one unavailable on CNN's transcript page as I write this. It's a damn good thing I took the time to transcribe the first part of it myself before I left for work this morning.
Jake: I believe that governments, and I think, presidents, should act as parents to a country, you know? And I think that there are things that that country needs to know, and there are things that it doesn't. But I think that honesty is first and foremost, and I think people know when someone's honest or not, really deeply inside them.

AJ Hammer: So in some ways, it can be justifiable, if the ends are proper?

Jake: Yes. I think that's the debate in the movie. I think that's the extraordinary scene between Peter Sarsgaard and Meryl Streep, when they meet and Peter says, 'You're torturing somebody,' and she says, 'But we're keeping five thousand people alive by torturing one person.' So I think the debate is what it's about, I think the debate is what it's always about. I think that that's what makes, you know, that, you can come to a resolution that way, some interesting resolution, whereas, you know, one person takes a stance, just demands that that's how it goes, and then, like, imposes it on the rest of the world.
Doug Freeman (Jake) can analyze me anytimeAlready, his fans have begun to debate whether Jake was saying Yes, I believe in torture or Yes, you've asked what the movie asks. I'm thrilled because it's a far more engaging and important topic to discuss than whom Jake is or isn't sleeping with this week. As an amateur psychologist and sociologist, I'm fascinated by the concessions that some folks have made regarding Jake's comments. Why exactly is it more acceptable to believe that Jake thinks the value of torture is open to debate than that he thinks it may have its place? Doesn't the first imply the second? It seems to be all about the morality we personally wish to ascribe to Jake, and for some people there is enough ambiguity in the first interpretation to make it sound like an expression of neutrality on the subject.

For the record, I believe Jake meant exactly what he said: torture can be justifiable. He did not elaborate on under what circumstances he thinks this true; he wasn't asked to do so.

Jake as Douglas Freeman againI've spent the last hour trying to figure out how I feel about this answer, and I keep coming back to a single thought: to say that torture is never justifiable would be as arrogant and unconsidered as it would be to say that it is always justifiable. In that sense, Jake has given the only answer that an intelligent man could give.

As if the contemplation of the validity of torture weren't ugly enough in itself, I found a couple of reactions to Jake's comments that disturbed me even further. Someone suggested that because of his answer, "Jake Gyllenhaal might be cool." (Sadly, this blogger appears to have missed the irony behind Fight Club.) Another strangely complimentary post proclaims "Jake Gyllenhaal Talks Like a Hetero Man." With points of view like these, it's easy to understand why a woman like me has a hard time finding a compatible man. How exactly does an acknowledgment that torture is not a black-and-white issue translate into a social perception of masculinity and heterosexuality? I may just die alone, after all.

Photos: Rendition official website, via IHJ.

6 comments

BirdGirl said...

I'm sure that there’s a man out there for you. One day you will find him. He will just have to accept the "Jake" part of you life as mine does. And I thank my lucky stars for that. I wouldn’t want to hide it. That’s what I would do. I couldn’t give him up. I’ve got my priorities. :)

I thought that he was pretty much talking about the movie and not his own personal beliefs. I find it hard to believe that someone as liberal (Mr. ACLU) as Jake would be for torture at all. Who knows though he did say that the movie opened his eyes to the whole debate? Maybe he’s just for torture in the bedroom. In that case, I could help him with that.:)

Back to the issue at hand. Jake is a intellegent enough guy that he would open his mind to all sorts of ideas. He's not the kind of guy that's going to use a interview about a film that he has done to get on his soap box. If he did that would be okay with me too cause I'm so liberal my license plate actually says Left on it. And I ain't left handed. So you know how I feel on the matter.

Cherita said...

Thanks for the encouragement on the man front, BirdGirl. My main problem is that I have no exposure outside work and school, and in those cases there isn't much opportunity to learn the really good stuff about a person...like you can when, say, they're a celebrity and they do interviews and get followed by paparazzi and record commentary tracks for the DVDs of their movies. I'll be taking steps to correct that in the future.

I agree, for the most part Jake seems to have been focused on the premise of Rendition rather than the practice of extraordinary rendition itself. Also, I think there's a very important distinction between acknowledging that the traditional American viewpoint on human rights is not the only valid one, and saying you're pro-torture. I don't believe Jake could ever personally sanction or participate in such an interrogation any more than one of us could; he's talking about the bigger picture, the moral and ethical issue itself, and that's what I love about this interview. Contrary to what other people seem to have heard, I found him lucid and thoughtful, if not exactly eloquent. It took guts to say what he did, and I for one am proud of his honesty, even knowing it's going to be misconstrued, misquoted and held against him for months to come.

Don't even get me started on the idea of S&M!Jake. As it is, I get a funny feeling every time I watch Jarhead and Swoff wakes up tied to the end of that bunk....

BirdGirl said...

It's funny you mention that scene. I just posted that picture in Jarhead picture thread on JW the other day. Needless to say that it does funny things to me too. Dirty, dirty things.

Xenia said...

What an interesting week-end, it seems that I’ve missed a lot of fun…my bad…
Every interview involving Jake always involves two sides: what I think Jake thinks (or what I want Jake to think) and what I myself think about a specific subject, and yes I’d like to think Jake agrees with me on the most important matters but I confess I shoud be satisfied just the same if he wanted to discuss our disagreements in ‘private’…:)
I watched the interview on CNN and honestly I believe that Jake was beeing loyal with his intelligence and with his director saying that ther’s more than one view to ‘anything’, including torture. That there are people who had accepted to practise torture in good faith, to save thousands of people taking advantage of just one person…
And you’ve right Cherita, he had the guts to declare something a lot of people agree with but maybe ‘fear’ to agree with…and I love him for this. Yeah, the boy has guts.
One more thing (two actually):
‘Why exactly is it more acceptable to believe that Jake thinks the value of torture is open to debate than that he thinks it may have its place? Doesn't the first imply the second?'
The first doesn't necessarily imply the second IMO, you can bring some question to debate just because you want to prove someone wrong, hence the 'value' of debate...

‘to say that torture is never justifiable would be as arrogant and unconsidered as it would be to say that it is always justifiable. In that sense, Jake has given the only answer that an intelligent man could give’.

I don’t think that saying that torture is ‘never’ justifiable is arrogant , ‘I’ think that it is never justifiable but I 'also' think that I have to accept that there's someone who could think that under some particular and very dramatic circumstances, torture is ‘necessary’ and Jake could be one of them.

And...

‘As if the contemplation of the validity of torture weren't ugly enough in itself, I found a couple of reactions to Jake's comments that disturbed me even further. Someone suggested that because of his answer, "Jake Gyllenhaal might be cool." (Sadly, this blogger appears to have missed the irony behind Fight Club.) Another strangely complimentary post proclaims "Jake Gyllenhaal Talks Like a Hetero Man’'.

Jerks…

Cherita said...

I definitely felt your absence this weekend, Xenia. ;)

The first doesn't necessarily imply the second IMO, you can bring some question to debate just because you want to prove someone wrong, hence the 'value' of debate...

I know what you're saying; maybe it's the use of the word "debate" that's causing the trouble. If I had absolutely no doubt that my point of view on something was the single, right one, I could participate in a debate, but I would not consider it "debatable." Do you see what I mean? At all? Or do I sound like Jake now?

I don’t think that saying that torture is ‘never’ justifiable is arrogant , ‘I’ think that it is never justifiable but I 'also' think that I have to accept that there's someone who could think that under some particular and very dramatic circumstances, torture is ‘necessary’ and Jake could be one of them.

Okay, but to say things like never or always, again, implies a certainty that, to me, discounts the validity of the other side. That's arrogant, as I see it. My acceptance extends further than yours--I'm saying I will acknowledge that there may be a case, a specific situation, where it is justifiable. There's also the issue of one's definition of justifiable. :)

Xenia said...

Oh Cherita how I wish to be there with you in the flesh and discuss about renditions and JAKE and torture and JAKE and whatever and JAKE… :D

'I know what you're saying; maybe it's the use of the word "debate" that's causing the trouble. If I had absolutely no doubt that my point of view on something was the single, right one, I could participate in a debate, but I would not consider it "debatable." Do you see what I mean? At all? Or do I sound like Jake now?'

Yes, yes I know what you say, but have it ever happened to you to support ‘debate’ or discussion, or confrontation, or whatever you want to call it just because your intelligence 'refuses' to leave any possibilities out?
That’s a theoretical and intellectual attitude IMO more than a moral one and I think that it could be like Jake to behave like that…

'Okay, but to say things like never or always, again, implies a certainty that, to me, discounts the validity of the other side. That's arrogant, as I see it.'

It’s not arrogance, it’s just that one becomes self-assertive when it comes to something that is ‘not negotiable’ to him…everyone has some subject that considers ‘off-limits’, no?

'I'm saying I will acknowledge that there may be a case, a specific situation, where it is justifiable.'

Yeah, I had the suspect that you agreed with Jake on this one…;)

'There's also the issue of one's definition of justifiable.'

Yeah the definition of ‘justifiable’ is an issue…and consideration about circumstances and results and true or false intensions that could have made you think something is justifiable…:)

How do you Americans say? We agree to disagree on that one.:)