9/18/07

Oh, brother

Someone at Relativity Media has a terrific sense of humor.

Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire in the same room. Hint: Jake is the one on the right.Tobey Maguire, Tobey's wife Jennifer Meyer, and Jake Gyllenhaal pose at the 18th Annual Producers Guild Awards in January

According to this story in Variety, Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire may play brothers in an upcoming film to be titled, well, Brothers.
The film, a remake of Susanne Bier's Danish-language war drama, centers on a man (Maguire) who is sent to fight in Afghanistan while his black-sheep brother (Gyllenhaal) cares for his wife and child.
Sigh. Jake's going to be the black sheep. Who could have predicted that?

No, seriously, I hope this one sticks. Not just because it's set to start filming in two months, either. Director Jim Sheridan is responsible for one of my favorite movies, In the Name of the Father.

Still, there is no escaping the irony of putting Jake and Tobey in a film together as brothers. There are still people to this day who think Jake was Spider-Man. My mom used to be one of them. I finally disabused her of that notion, but have as yet failed to get her to pronounce Jake's last name properly. Parents. What can you do?

Back for more random squeeing and celebration later...I still have homework to finish.

Photo: IHJ.

4 comments

Xenia said...

I had just pointed out these wonderful news (yet to be confirmed actually)in the former post comment section as if you had to rely on me to be on top of things...:)

I'm really really HAPPY if this is true first off because I want Jake to WORK goddamnit, and second off because Jim Sheridan's In the Name of the Father is one of the most moving film I've ever seen, with a great Daniel Day Lewis in it.
Not to mention 'My left foot'...

Cherita said...

Yes, I do hope this comes off as currently described. I think we were all getting rather antsy about Jake's future projects for a while there, and while it's certainly not up to any of us how often he works or what he choses to do or if he even goes off to do something else, it would be dishonest to say that we don't want Jake to make more movies for us to enjoy. I mean, come on, he's just so damn good at it.

I absolutely love In the Name of the Father, but admit that I have never seen My Left Foot. It is one of those films that I keep meaning to watch, and never get around to. Anyway, I'm going to have a look later for more info on the original Danish release so I can get an idea of what we might be in for. I want to start jumping up and down, but I can't until I know that Jake's on the set and really filming, you know? Too many rumors and careless whispers have left me quite hardened. :P

BirdGirl said...

I think that this is hilarious. We have been joking about the two of them for a long time.

I have been wanting to see Jake in a comedy. He is a pretty funny guy. We all remember Bubble Boy! :)

Cherita said...

Yes, I am absolutely aching to see Jake do a comedy. But I'm grateful to know he's doing anything, and this sounds like a great project. And I'd be really surprised to learn that the irony had escaped whoever is in charge of casting. To be in the business and not know of the confusion, one would have to live under a rock.